The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office offers a few tips that will make Halloween a real treat for the entire family. Citizens are urged to be especially alert and make safety a priority.
Choosing a costume:
- Costumes should not be long around the feet, to avoid being a tripping hazard.
- Costumes should be made with light colored materials. Strips of retro-reflective tape help make children visible.
- Masks can obstruct a child’s vision; make sure eye holes are large enough to see out of or use facial make-up instead.
- Carrying flashlights will help children see better and be seen more clearly.
- Make sure that an adult or an older responsible youth will be supervising the outing for children under age 12.
- Establish a return time.
- Pin a slip of paper with the child’s name, address and phone number inside a pocket in case they get separated from the group.
- Insist that treats be brought home for inspection before anything is eaten -when in doubt, throw it out.
- Travel only in familiar areas and along an established route.
- Stop only at houses or apartment buildings that are well lit and never enter a stranger’s home.
- Walk on sidewalks, not in the street, and do not cross yards and lawns where unseen objects or the uneven terrain can present tripping hazards.