Glade Valley Community Services, Inc. (GVCS) is a local non-profit providing services to residents of Walkersville / Woodsboro, and the surrounding Glade Valley area in Frederick County, Maryland. GVCS was founded in 2004 and was granted 501(c)(3) tax exempt status in September 2005.
To meet the needs of families and individuals in the Walkersville, Woodsboro and surrounding Glade Valley area of Frederick County, MD. through the coordination of donations of time, talent, money and other resources.
Food Bank hours:
Mondays, 6:30pm – 7:30pm.
Thursdays, 1:00pm – 3:00pm.
The Town of Walkersville’s Municipal Government
Woodsboro is a small town located in central Frederick county at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. We host a peaceful environment to the 1,000 residents of our wonderful community. Woodsboro exhibits the best ideals of living in a close knit community where your neighbors are your friends and know each other by name.
Walkersville Branch Library
Total square footage 15,000
Meeting rooms available:
Darrell L. Batson Community Room (capacity 50),
Dorsey Quiet Study Room
Three study rooms
UNIQUE FEATURES AND SERVICES
Discovery Meadow Early Literacy Play and Learning Space
Friends of the Walkersville Library group
The Loft teen area
Pop-up STEM lab
Social Story: to prepare your child to visit the Walkersville Library
Unique art throughout the building
Total items borrowed annually 300,000
Total visitors annually 170,000
Total programs hosted annually 1,200
22 public internet computers
Eight children’s iPads with early literacy games and apps
Fire protection for the Town of Walkersville began in 1909 with the formation of the Walkersville Water Company and in coordination with installation of water lines and hydrants was the Walkersville Hose Company and a hand drawn hose reel.
The minutes of December 12, 1927 of the Walkersville Hose Company (unincorporated) show that T.R. Saylor was President and Captain was Clyde Fogle. A re-organization was effected in 1939 and the result in 1940 was the incorporation of the Walkersville Volunteer Fire Co., Inc. During incorporation in 1940, T.R. Saylor was elected President and Fire Chief was Luther Horine, Sr.
The first carnival was held in 1940 to raise funds for the a motorized fire engine. The net profit was approximately $750. The company purchased a 1940 Ford piston-type pumper carrying 300 gallons of water at a cost of about $4,000. The original 1940 Ford fire engine has been restored and is on display in the front of the fire hall.
The tradition of “blue fire apparatus” continues from 1940 until today. This blue has set the standard and us apart from all other fire companies in Frederick County.
In 1977, recognizing the need to provide emergency medical service to the community of Walkersville, a group of dedicated people began to organize with the intent of starting an ambulance service. A meeting was held on May 17, 1977 with over 40 people in attendance. Vaughn Zimmerman chaired the planning committee.
Through mass mailings in the fall of 1977, the community was solicited for donations and support. The letter indicated that the organization would be independent of the volunteer fire company, but the equipment would be housed within the fire hall, which is now the Town Hall.
The request for donations and volunteers was heard by the people of the community. The Glade Valley Lions Club donated a 1969 Suburban ambulance (Ambulance 118) and a 1974 Horton 400 ambulance (Ambulance 119) was purchased from Bethesda Chevy Chase for $12,500.
By October, there were forty-three members studying to become Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT’s). In January, the “Walkersville Volunteer Ambulance Services, Inc.” began providing service to the Walkersville and surrounding community. The ambulances were placed in service on January 18, 1978.
In the first year, volunteers responded to 289 emergency calls. Also during that first year, it was recognized that the company was fast outgrowing the space provided by the fire company. A letter was again sent out to the community in March 1979 asking for donations for our own station.
The Walkersville Volunteer Fire Co. graciously granted a 99-year lease on the northeast corner of their carnival grounds, and again the community heard and responded to our need for help. Donations started coming in, and with the help of the members of the organization and the community, we held our groundbreaking ceremony on April 1, 1979.
Ray Dayhoff agreed to supervise the construction, and the volunteers donated 4,244 hours of their time in the construction of the building. Eight months later the community was invited to the dedication and open house of our new station. The building cost $60,000.
As calls continued to increase, training and fund-raising continued, and with that, the need for a third ambulance and a rescue squad was recognized. A vote was taken to add a third ambulance, which was added to the fleet in 1980. By the end of 1980 there was a total of 395 emergency calls. A 1980 Horton 450 MR was added to the fleet in 1981 and designated “Ambulance 118”.
In 1982 the Company voted to change our company call number from 11 to 24, and to purchase a rescue squad. Our members began taking rescue training and in 1983, with the addition of a new E.V.F. rescue squad on September 2nd, we officially changed our station number to “24”.