The Frederick County Fire & Rescue Museum, located at 300B South Seton Avenue, Emmitsburg, Md., will open for the 2019 season on Saturday, April 6, at 10 a.m. The museum features artifacts from every fire and rescue company in Frederick County, as well as displays highlighting the Maryland State Firemen’s Association and the Frederick County Volunteer Fire & Rescue Association.
Featured items include the 1939 Ahrens-Fox pumper owned by the United Steam Fire Engine Co. No 3, the 1946 Ford pumper that formerly served the Vigilant Hose Co. and now privately owned by John Hollinger, the ornate 1893 Holloway Hose Carriage “Romeo” owned by the Independent Hose Co. No. 1, the circa 1840’s hand tub pumper “Old Lady” used by both the United Fire Co. No. 3 and the United Volunteer Fire Company of Libertytown. Many other interesting artifacts from throughout Frederick County are also on display. One museum display room is dedicated to Frederick County Emergency Communications featuring the 1967 logbook from the first day of operation of Frederick County Central Alarm.
Other interesting items include a life net from Ladder 4, the 1952 American LaFrance ladder truck of the Citizens Truck Company of Frederick, a hose reel from the United Fire Co. No. 3, a “Badger” wheeled extinguisher from the Jefferson Volunteer Fire Co. and a diorama formerly located at the University of Maryland depicting three eras of firefighting featuring a model of the famous United steam pumper the “Lily of the Swamp.” The museum is also home to a display of all fire and rescue personnel in Frederick County that have died in the line of duty dating as far back to 1840.
Come and walk through the over 200-year history of the Frederick County, Maryland, Fire & Rescue Service. The museum will be open from Noon to 4 p.m. each Saturday and Sunday from April 6 to October 6, 2019. For more information visit www.frederickmdfiremuseum.org or 301-600-6736.