A collaboration among Infants and Toddlers Family Support Network, National Alliance for Mental Illness, and Frederick County Public School’s Partners for Success will provide a workshop for parents in Walkersville next month. Coping Strategies for Anxious and Depressed Kids: What Parents Need to Know will be held Tuesday, October 7, 2014 from 10:00 – 1:30 at the FCPS Staff Development Center (44 W. Frederick Street, Walkersville, MD).
Erin Berman, Ph.D. will be the presenter. Dr. Berman is a clinical psychologist at the National Institute of Mental Health. Topics in her presentation will include:
- How to identify an anxious and/or depressed child,
- How to change anxious thinking,
- How to improve depression symptoms,
- The science and biological roots of anxiety and depression in children,
- How computer technology is transforming the understanding of anxiety,
- Current treatment options for anxiety and depression (medications & cognitive behavioral therapy).
Neither childcare nor lunch will not be provided. Morning snacks will be sold by the FCPS Success students.
Anyone interested in attending may register online at http://goo.gl/Lxrw7Y or by calling 301-600-1617. Requests for accommodations such as intepretation must be made no less than five days before the program.