The Walkersville Planning Commission’s Public Hearing on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 covers a lot of ground. Two items regarding one project promise to draw enough of a crowd to move the meeting upstairs to the large meeting room of Walkersville’s Town Hall; Site Plan/Site Improvement Plans and an Addition Plat for a proposed Rutter’s Convenience Store and Gas Station appear as the last two items on the Planning Commission’s agenda.
The plans to build a Rutter’s gas station and convenience store drew a small group of opponents to a meeting earlier this summer, but the plans were not on the agenda. As a result, the group was not provided an opportunity to speak about their opposition during the meeting. A lot of organizing has been done online through social media and e-mail by residents opposed to the plans.
Rutter’s proposes purchasing the lot of land connecting Sandstone Drive to Woodsboro Pike at Glade Boulevard, demolish the old Exxon building, and build a 7,450 square foot convenience store with a gas station providing gas and high speed diesel fuel pumps. The plans include a privately owned road allowing traffic to flow from Sandstone Drive to the traffic signal at Woodsboro Pike and Glade Boulevard; a road has been on the Walkersville Comprehensive Plan to improve traffic safety in the town.
The Planning Commission denied aspects of Rutter’s original plans and requests for variances of Town Code. During their last meeting on the subject, they explained to citizens in attendance that the zoning of the property allows a gas station and convenience store.
The meeting on Tuesday is open to the public and begins at 7:30 p.m.
WALKERSVILLE PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING
September 26, 2017
Walkersville Town Hall, Upstairs room
1. Minutes: August 22, 2017 and September 12, 2017
2. Site Plan: Lonza, north side Biggs Ford Road
3. Combined Preliminary/Final Plat: The Glades (Staley property, east side of Glade Rd, opposite Winter Brook)
4. Site Plan: Heritage Farm Park activities building, north side Devilbiss Bridge Road
5. Site Improvement Plans: Richard Winn Lane (Planned road connection between Fountain Rock Road and Stauffer Court)
6. Site Plan/Site Improvement Plans: Rutter’s Convenience Store and Gas Station
7. Addition Plat: Remainder of Lot 132, Fountain Rock Manor addition to Lot 3A Nikirks Subdivision (Rutter’s lot consolidation)
8. Announcements/Development Updates